Friday, May 30, 2008

Turkey - Part 3

I know, I know, still no pictures... they are coming as soon as I get back to my own lovely computer. I'm currently in Fethiye, a fairly major tourist town down on the southwest Mediterranean coast. Unfortunately, the city museum is closed for restorations and it's been a bit difficult getting transport to all of our 'key' sites, but Derek and I have managed to stay optimistic (with the help of a boat tour at Ölüdeniz and a hike through the Saklıkent Gorge, both completely fantastic). Tomorrow morning we move on to Selçuk ('Sel-chuk'), which is the city adjacent to the ancient site of Ephesus, an important site for my research, and close to ancient Didyma, another important location. After that, it's off to İstanbul for a few nights and then back to Ankara for some concluding research and perhaps a visit to Gordion, the site of a Phrygian city ruled by, allegedly, King Midas (he of the golden touch and the ass's ears).

No comments: